Applying for the First Home Owner Grant

A $10,000 First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) is available when you buy or build your first new home.


The FHOG is $20,000 for new homes built in regional Victoria, for contracts signed from 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2021. (Read information about FHOG amounts available before 1 July 2013.)

Your first new home can be a house, townhouse, apartment, unit or similar. The amount paid for the home, that is the contract price for construction when building the home, must be $750,000 or less.

The property must not have been previously sold as a place of residence, occupied as a home, or used for the provision of short -term accommodation, such as Airbnb. This means the first sale of a property will not be a new home if the person who built it lived in it, or leased it out or used it for short -term accommodation.

A new home can be a home that is substantially renovated, or a home built to replace demolished premises. It cannot be an investment property or a holiday house.

​The FHOG may be paid in addition to other exemptions or concessions for eligible homebuyers, including pensioners.

The timing of your FHOG payment depends on the contract you sign to buy or build your new home, and whether you lodge your application directly with us or via an approved agent


Check your eligibility

You are not entitled to the FHOG if you or your spouse/partner have previously:

  • Received a First Home Owner Grant in Australia.

  • Owned a home or other residential property in Australia, either jointly or separately, before 1 July 2000.

  • Occupied, for a continuous period of at least six months, a home which either of you owned or part-owned on or after 1 July 2000 in Australia.

You may still be eligible for the FHOG if you or your spouse/partner purchased a property on or after 1 July 2000 and have not lived there as your home.

Additionally, to receive the FHOG at least one applicant must:

  • Must occupy the home as their principal place of reside (PPR) for at least 12 months, commencing within 12 months of settlement or completion of construction.

  • Be aged 18 or over (discretionary).

  • Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident:

  • In the case of the purchase of a new home - as at the date on which the applicant/s become entitled to possession of the home under the contract, which generally occurs on the date of settlement.

  • In the case of entering into a comprehensive building contract - as at the date on which the building is ready for occupation as a place of residence, which generally occurs when construction of the home is finished.

Read more :

20 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All